First up Blackberries , now I personally think at this time of the year you may as well pick you're own ( look below for my top tips for blackberry picking)
|The berries at the front are frozen NOT mouldy haha|
What you will need :
- 25g S-R flour
- 25g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground almonds
For the sponge :
- 175g S-R flour
- 175g unsalted butter
- 175g demerara sugar
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2tbsp elderflower cordial
- 200g peeled and chopped pears
- 200g blackberries(I soaked mine in 2tbsp of amaretto)
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C(fan) and grease you're chosen tin
- Put flour,butter,sugar,almonds and cinnamon in a bowl and rub together until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Put this to one side as its the crumble topping.
- For the cake: cream together butter and sugar.
- Add the flour,cinnamon,eggs and elder flower cordial and beat until combined. Gently fold in the pears,blackberries and amaretto into the mixture.
- Pop into the tin and sprinkle with the crumble topping. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and serve
Inspired by this recipe
Bridgey's top tips for blackberry picking:
- Firstly be careful , blackberries after all do live in brambles and it is not unlikely to find the odd nettle. Longs can be a god send especially as you might have to climb over some brambles.
- Secondly if you are planning on picking some blackberries take along a container - in fact maybe just always have a spare in the car or a poo bag at this time of the year. worse comes to worse use a coat pocket (and yes my Barbour jacket now has a lovely blackberry stained pocket)
- Now nobody wants pee flavoured blackberries so don't pick to low to the ground. On that note make sure you wash you're berries before consumption.
- However you can freeze you're blackberry booty but if you do don't wash them before freezing.
- Finally don't be greedy when picking as the chances are someone will love blackberry picking just as much.
So I do apologise that this was such a long post but honestly these taste amazing especially with a dash of cream or custard.
Don't wanna miss out on this little series follow feed the sharks on bloglovin